MyEdDebt: Repayment, Settlement, & Forgiveness Options

#1 Student loan lawyer

Updated on October 3, 2022

When a federal loan defaults, it will typically be sent to the Default Resolution Group/Debt Management and Collections System. Combined, those two companies handle collections for defaulted loans owed to the U.S. Department of Education. is the website they use to share information with student loan borrowers. Here’s what to know about that site.

2022 Update: In 2021, the Department of Education announced that all federal loan delinquencies for the loans it controls would be managed by the Default Resolution Group (DRG) instead of by various collection agencies. Read my article on DRG for up-to-date details on how to contact DRG and what to do if your federal loan is moved to collections.

Is real?

MyEdDebt is real. It’s the website for the Debt Management and Collections System, which is the system used to track defaulted federal student loan debt owed to the US Department of Education. The website allows you to create an account so you can:

  • view your loan amount

  • view your payment history

  • see options for resolving your loans

  • access forms (loan rehabilitation, hardship hearings, etc.)

  • make payments

MyEdDebt also shows you the collection fees that were added to your loans after you defaulted.

MyEdDebt does not show your federal student loans that are in good standing. It also doesn’t show Federal Family Education Loans, and Federal Perkins owned by a guaranty agency or your school and are in default.

What is Debt Management and Collections System?

The Debt Management and Collections System (DMCS) houses all defaulted debts owed for Federal Student Aid. This includes Federal Family Education Loans (FFEL) loans assigned from guaranty agencies, Perkins Loans assigned from schools, and Direct Loan Program defaults.

DMCS is the largest part of the collections process for debts owed for Federal Student Aid. The payments borrowers make on defaulted loans are processed through the National Payment Center as part of DMCS. Additionally, the DMCS handles reporting efforts to:

  • credit bureaus (late payments on credit reports)

  • collection agencies

  • Treasury Offset Program (IRS tax refund offset)

  • Housing and Urban Development (FHA Mortgages) and

  • administrative wage garnishment (15% of your wages)

How to create an account on

Borrowers can create an account on here. Borrowers with an FSA ID for will need to create a new login for the website.

To create an account, you’ll need to provide:

  • Social Security Number

  • Date of Birth

  • Last Name (the name listed on your loans)

  • Zip Code (the zip code listed with Default Resolution Group)

  • Email

Contact the Debt Management and Collections System Help Desk at 1-888-291-2160 if you have trouble logging in.

Options to get out of default

Borrowers have three options to get out of default with myeddebt:

A settlement will typically remove the collection fees and save you about 10% off of the remaining balance. Consolidation will give you a new loan and pay off your loans included in the consolidation. Loan rehabilitation will get you out of default after you make 9 monthly payments.

Getting out of default restores your eligibility for:

  • Federal Financial Aid (Title IV Loans, Pell Grants, etc.)

  • Deferments and forbearances

  • Income-Driven Repayment Plans

  • ​Loan forgiveness programs

Bringing your loans back into good standing also allows you to clear the CAIVRS database so you can qualify for a federally backed mortgage.

How to rehabilitate myeddebt student loan

Here’s how to rehabilitate your defaulted student loans with myeddebt:

  1. Contact the Default Resolution Group

  2. Identify if your defaulted loans are with Default Resolution Group or a private debt colleciton agency

  3. Ask if you’re eligible for the loan rehabilitation program

  4. Submit your financial information (tax return, pay stub, etc.)

  5. Agree to an affordable repayment amount

  6. Sign and return the loan rehabilitation agreement letter

  7. Make 9 on-time monthly payments

Check NSLDS: Default Resolution Group only has information for defaulted loans owned by the Department of Education (loans made under the Direct Loan Program and some FFEL and Federal Perkins Loans). Check to see if you have other federal loans in default by asking the representative to transfer you to the National Student Loan Data System. The NSLDS shows all loans you borrowed from the federal government no matter who the loan servicer, lender, or debt collector is.

Download: Financial Disclosure Form

How to make payments when myeddebt is down

When myeddebt is down, you have the option to mail payments to the National Payment Center at: U.S. Department of Education,National Payment Center, PO Box 790336, St. Louis, MO 63179-0336.

Borrowers who live outside the United States: have reported issues accessing myeddebt or paying your account online using a debit card from a foreign bank. The workaround may be to use a proxy server and a domestic bank card.

MyEdDebt Forms

Here are some of the most common forms borrowers use with myeddebt:

Borrowers can request their 1098-tax forms from

You can also get these forms and others at

Contact Information MyEdDebt

  • Web:

  • Phone: 800-621-3115

  • Mail: U.S. Department of Education, PO Box 5609, Greenville, TX 75403-5609

Share On Social

Stop Stressing